Derek J. Allen founded Silhouette Media in 1992. Since it’s formation, Silhouette Media has played a crucial role in countless award-winning projects. We specialize in all forms of video productions. From corporate communications to commercial advertising; from music videos to narrative films, We’ve seen it all. Over the years, we have seen an increased use of the web as the main method of content distribution. To address this trend, we also offer website design and development for companies and organizations of all sizes.
As Director of Photography, Derek has contributed to many independent films, commercials, television shows, documentaries, corporate, and industrial projects. He also has an extensive knowledge of the latest technologies for digital media production, post-production, as well as DVD and web development.
- Seasoned Videographer with over 20 years of video production experience including cinematography, videography, video editing, studio lighting and directing.
- Extensive experience in lighting, filming, and editing of interviews, documentary-style vérité, narratives, multi-camera productions, commercials, products launches, live music, and events.
- Talented video editor with experience in short form, long form, and multi-camera productions.
- Wide knowledge of production technology; Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Red, Blackmagic cinema cameras, Adobe Creative Suite CC, Final Cut Pro, and both the Mac and Windows operating systems.
- Skilled in web development using WordPress, Dreamweaver, Photoshop and HTML
- Experienced in encoding video for high-quality online distribution.
- A dynamic and multifaceted team player with the ability to work independently, self-motivated, multi-tasks, excellent time management skills, responsible, reliable, friendly and adapts quickly.
DP/Editor – Icons, Idols & Influencers, Aspire TV; Black Robin Media; Washington, DC
Icons is a celebrity Interview series airing on Aspire TV.
D.P./Sr. Editor – Smithsonian Exhibits – National Museum of African American History and Culture; Black Robin Media; Washington, DC
Contributed to the creation of video exhibits for the Sports, Music and Entertainment Galleries.
Editor – Exhale, Aspire TV; Black Robin Media; Washington, DC
Exhale is an 8 episode 1 hr television series airing on Aspire TV.
DP/Editor – The Root 100, Aspire TV; Black Robin Media; Washington, DC
The Root 100 is an 8 episode 1 hr television series airing on Aspire TV.
DP/Editor – RAM Trucks; Black Robin Media; Washington, DC
Series of seven web promo campaign for featuring RAM Commercial Trucks.
DP – I Want That, DIY Network; Fog Edge Media; Silver Spring, MD
I Want That is a fast-paced, up-close look at the hottest home improvement products around, airing on the DIY Network.
DP/Editor – Verizon; USA Recently completed a series of same-day “shoot, edit, deliver” videos for technology trade shows.
American Red Cross
Association of Black Foundation Executives (ABFE)
Black Robin Media
Capital View Productions
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Council on Legal Education Opportunities (CLEO)
Fog Edge Media
Internal Revenue Service
National Association of Home Builders
NBC 4 WRC
Rock Creek Productions
United Philanthropy Forum
University of the District of Columbia
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
US Tennis Association (USTA)